I’m starting my series of interviews with Ms. Joany Titherington. Even though she is not a landlord, she definitely knows how to transform a neighborhood. Joany was recently recognized by NeighborWorks®HomeOwnership Center Sacramento Region for her work:
- Researching and establishing a neighborhood farmers market
- Organizing Celebrate Oak Park, a neighborhood festival for four years straight
- Serving and advocating for a neighborhood association – addressing drug activities, violent crime, and services for youth
That’s really a short list of her accomplishments. She is the epitome of a neighborhood leader.
Joany credits the following activities as being instrumental in transforming her block:
1. Hosting National Night Out – where neighbors ate together, problem solved, and created phone trees.
2. Street Sweeps – where neighbors picked up garbage and litter to spruce up the streets.
“As soon as we started giving a care about our block, people started noticing that we gave a care”
Joany’s advice to Innercity Landlords:
1. “You have to be there.” Owners, or their reputable managers, need to oversee day-to-day activities occuring on their properties.
2. “Let your tenants know where the boundaries are.” It’s up to owners to enforce standards and decent behavior.
Tell me what you think of this interview. Leave a comment below.